Simply put, virtual reality represents an artificially created digital environment that immerses you completely in place of the real world. We are talking artificial sights and sounds – a fully immersive virtual world in which you are free to move about, virtually.
Using specially designed virtual reality headsets, a user can completely get immersed in virtual reality.
- PC-connected headsets generate high-quality virtual experiences and are thus ideally suited for gaming consoles. These VR headsets are used in conjunction with special controllers through which the user can actually interact with the digitally created environment. Not surprisingly, these make for the most interactive VR experiences. On the flip side of the fun is the harsh reality (pun intended) of the high costs of this form of VR headsets. Enter the lone warrior – the standalone ones!
- Standalone headsets have a huge advantage over PC-enabled ones – they don’t necessarily need a computer or console connection to function. Hence, the name.
USP of VR Technology
Truly, VR promises a level of immersion that no other existing reality technologies have been able to provide. Imagine yourself with your VR headset on. Your digital world goes with you as you walk about in the real world.
In other words, VR technology has found a key to trick the indomitable human brain into believing in a reality it is really not in! Confused yet?
VR Applications in the Real World
You are already familiar with VR gaming applications. However, there are other industries as well who have adopted this technology.
- Education: Make learning more fun and engaging by introducing VR educational content in the classroom.
- Real Estate: Give potential home buyers a virtual tour of their dream house! What better way to sell property?
- Healthcare: VR technology is aiding doctors in better understanding patient anatomy and studying complicated reports as part of their surgery prep.
- Marketing: In an era where consumers are glued to online shopping apps, immersive VR shopping experiences can prove to be a game-changer for retail businesses.
- Travel: Much like real estate businesses, give your prospective travel clients a virtual sneak peek (or whole tours, if you will) of attractive travel destinations from across the globe.
Augmented reality technology basically overlays digital information onto real-world environments. These digital bits of information can be in any form – images, videos, or any other interactive data.
Augmented reality companies in Australia are cashing in on the growing popularity of the technology to help businesses promote growth. For example, retailers can now provide customers with the ability to check out clothes on their mobile phones using AR apps – a truly virtual trial room!
Primarily, there are two major ways in which augmented reality solutions in Australia are revolutionizing industries.
- Portable AR devices make augmented reality technology the most portable of its kind. Using nothing but a smartphone or a tablet, people can access virtual objects which can then be superimposed on the real world using the phone camera for a better consumer experience – be it clothes, accessories, furniture or even in the field of education.
- Smart glasses and AR headsets are not to be confused with VR headsets. The fundamental difference between the two is that VR offers an immersive experience while AR headsets will simply create a layer of virtual objects onto your real reality.
AR Applications in the Real World
The applications of augmented reality in Melbourne are already making a world of difference in the following businesses across industries.
- Advertising: AR adverts are more engaging for the audience, thereby creating a new pool of consumers for businesses.
- Manufacturing: AR technology can aid in reducing human error, increase productivity by proving real time information, thereby saving valuable time in the overall process of manufacturing.
- Retail: Let your customers try on their favorite products on their mobile phones, by way of an AR shopping app.
- Maintenance and Repairs: Many businesses are now being able to carry out repair and maintenance work on-site thanks to AR apps and AR headsets.
Also known as hybrid reality, mixed reality technology enables the overlay of virtual digital content, while also facilitating interaction between the two worlds. This makes mixed reality the most flexible of the three reality technologies discussed in this article. You get the best of both worlds!
The devices that let you experience mixed reality are of two types, mainly:
- Holographic devices with their translucent glasses allow you to view the world around you, while holograms are projected giving you the virtual experience as well.
- Immersive devices have non-translucent displays and use cameras for tracking information.
MR Applications in the Real World
The immense potential of mixed reality applications can be seen in the following examples of industries.
- Communication through MR technology enables more streamlined collaborations.
- Education benefits from MR holograms that fully immerse young learners into the object or environment of study.
- Manufacturing processes can be expedited with real-time assistance through MR technology.
If you think either one of these, or a combination of more than one of these futuristic technologies is just what you need for your business, reach out to the nearest augmented reality service provider. The future is now!